[modeleng] Re: re : gas turbine locos

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 05:31:11 -0600

Al, Charles,  Here is your golden opportunity as this is exactly what was
being cussed and discussed between us earlier this week. Be interesting to
see what comes of it if someone has an answer for Pierre. Providing oil to
lubricate/cool the bearings on the rotor is one thing that will have to be
considered. No, I ain't gonna let you have the turbo off of my wonderful
Dodge Cummins to play with, so forget that and as Dodges never wear out,
there ain't gonna be any in the junk yards either..

Jesse

> Hi All,
> Page 561 of ME issue 4234 (received yesterday !)  I've seen three pictures
of gas turbine locos using turbochargers. Is someone can explain US how they
work ? I mean what kind of combustor(combustion chamber) they use, what fuel
do they burn and how they couple the turbo to the wheels ? May be it's
simple for some of you but I'm completely ignorant of this.