[modeleng] Re: pumps, etc was

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:57:23 -0600

        I have already done that on a couple of Stuart engines where the
flywheel rims were too narrow to properly represent a typical rope drive
flywheel.  Sorry I can't post a picture or I would.
Regards,
Harry

Harry, have you ever seen an actual rope drive in operation?  There was a
beautimus one at Bruce Mississippi in the Memphis Hardwood sawmill
operation, but our benovalent EPA claimed that the boilers were too outdated
and the steam engines were shut down in favor of electric drive.  Not too
long after that the mill burned down, but the engine room was saved.  The
drive to the lineshaft was 650 feet of 1" Manila rope and it lasted from 3
to 5 years.  That was probably one of the few remaining rope drives in the
country.  [:-(  I did get some good video of the big twin cylinder engine
running before it was taken out of service.[:>)

I do wish you could post pics to this site, I really do.

Jesse the redneck Tennesseean