[modeleng] Re: pumps, etc was

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:05:24 -0600

At 07:15 AM 2/22/06 -0500, you wrote:
>Couple of ideas for your flywheel: 1. make a cast iron or steel "jacket"
for the rim - Jeff

Jeff (and Jesse),
       I hadn't planned to go into it but I've found somone with an
identical pattern (the original patterns were lost in a fire) who may be
able to supply cast iron, if he ever gets 'around tuit'.  However if the
C.I. is unreasonable or unavailable a pressed-on rim is exactly what I'd
planned to do.
        I have already done that on a couple of Stuart engines where the
flywheel rims were too narrow to properly represent a typical rope drive
flywheel.  I first turned the cast flywheel rims down to leave only a small
rectangle at the end of the spokes.  I then took two slices of steel pipe
and turned them to fit tightly over the remaining rim, face and sides, one
slice over approximately one half the rim, the other slice over the other
half, with a stepped joint in the middle at the mating edges leaving
sufficient material to profile the new rim.  I turned the step joint so
that the parting line was hidden in the depths of one of the rope grooves
and dressed the transition between the old casting and new rim so that when
viewed from any angle there is no sign, except for the difference in
appearance between iron and steel, that this is anything other than the
cast rim.  Sorry I can't post a picture or I would.

Regards,
Harry