[modeleng] Re: police checks

  • From: Donkitson1@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:23:59 EDT

At our Club BPMRS (Burnley and Pendle Miniature Railway Society) we have
taken the decision that with regard to CRB checks we will not go down that road

at this time, and unless it is forced upon us by our landlords (the local
council) we will resist it in the future.
    This is based on the fact that we are not  involved with children that
are unsupervised by their responsible adult or  parent, and on the odd occasion
when a child wishes to be carried on the railway  without any other passengers
being on board the train, the train must  not leave the station without a
guard who must be a senior  member.
    Any children that attend the club with a club  member usually their
parent/s or as in most cases Grandparent the Safety and  Care of the child is
the
responsibility of that person. This does not however  mean that we do not have
a general duty of care to all our visitors and we  accept that in full.
    As is probably the case now in most clubs where a  large percentage of
running time is devoted to Public Passenger Hauling, we have  a system where on
arrival at the track all members sign in on the running log  there is also a
column for visitors, and a section where any incidents  are briefly reported.
    We have now commenced an approval scheme where all  drivers, guards,
station staff etc are approved for the various duties that they  undertake and
membership cards are endorsed as appropriate, this ensures that,  for most of
the
time, we are all singing from the same hymn sheet and are aware  of our
responsibilites when dealing with the public in general.
    Each year before the commencement of the running  season we carry out a
risk assesment for all our activities and also during the  year if any major
changes take place.
 All this in the hope that we will be able to avoid any problems in  the
future by demonstrating that we have taken the trouble to be as responsible  as
possible. Whilst all of this might seem quite time consuming in truth it  takes
up very little of our time and gives peace of mind.
    I agree that we should not have to do all this but  it is to protect the
members and officers of the club that we carry out these  practices.
Best wishes to all.
Don.