[modeleng] Re: [modeleng] Now Ga1 was 3½ versus 5

  • From: "Jem Harrison" <Jem.Harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:34:21 +0100

Hallo Harry,

Having gone to a few G1MRA meetings, I thought I ought to join.  All I have
done in G1 is build four wagons, which were very satisfying to construct.
Now fellow G1 members pull my leg about building an engine.  As my wagons
are all SDJR vehciles, the loco has to match, but old SDJR locos were small
boilered types, and my impression is that live-steamers in G1 tend to be
more reliable if they have adequate boilers.  I think LBSC was very aware of
the need for a sizeable boiler & firebox configuration in his design of
Ayesha and Maisie.  Thus I intend that my SDJR loco in G1 will be
electrically driven, perhaps with batteries in the tender and controlled by
a car key fob.  (ducking for cover as a modeleng cruise missile heads my
way!).

I would rather do coal-fired steam in 3½ or perhaps 5-inch gauge.  I have
seen some very fine G1 live-steamers: a few Dees, a superb SECR 0-6-0 by
Frank Norton utilizing the D twin cylinder layout, which he accomodated by
giving the leading coupled wheels stub axles.  Tom Barrett's locos, with
single cylinders, are good runners.  John Barrett's Jubilees and Castles
have impressed as well.  The Asters are very good, but ready built engines
require owners with deep pockets.

On the other hand, the big stuff doesn't come cheap.  There are the machined
parts for a 7½ Romulus for sale in our club at £2100.  The seller tells me
that the castings and other bits alone cost £1900 !  He is also selling a
Polly 5 for £5000 is anyone is interested.

Back to the drawing.  It is to 10mm (I would rather 1/32, but the first
wagon I built was from a kit and it was to 10mm, so I have stuck with
that....besides wheels sets tend to be to 10mm).  The prtotype is an SDJR
"Scottie" 0-6-0, so nicknamed after the builders of the first batch being
Neilsons of Glasgow.  They are really tender versions of the Midland
half-cab, 4ft 6½in wheels (13 spokes).

Best wishes,

Jem