[modeleng] Re: disused Underground photos

  • From: "Tony Wells" <oaksfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:46:44 +0100

Once brought a boat up from a boatyard in Wolverhampton to Shipley for a
boatyard owner, and we came the "scenic" route round the Birmingham Ring -
in some places there was so much cutting oil etc in the canal water from the
nearby factories that it looked green ... <sigh> All the factories are gone
now though, and the canals cleaned up though, so it is somewhere else to
re-visit when we start canalling again (after my wife retires next year!)

Tony.

PS, a late reply to Alan's comments about the Thames steam yatchts - on our
first canalling holiday, over 30 years ago now, we picked the boat up on the
lower reaches of the Grand Union Canal, went up it to pick up the Oxford
Canal, went down the Oxford to the Thames (including a short detour onto the
Isis!), then down the Thames to pick up the Grand Union again, and so back
to the boat yard. When we were on the Thames though, we saw a lot of the
little steam powered "yachts", 20 and 30 foot steam powered launches with a
small day cabin, that Alan mentioned. The waterways were just changing over
from Commerical to Leisure use, and these yachts were being rennovated left,
right and centre - a "must have" to park on your VERY expensive house's VERY
expensive river frontage! As we have been on nearly every canal in the
country, the Thames is the only place where I have seen them, so they must a
unique Thames style boat.