[modeleng] Re: Rivet forensics

  • From: Tim <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:18:12 +0000

Thanks for sharing.

I've heard opinion that the steel of the hull was cold short and brittle in the
cold N Atlantic water which might also give the same sort of damage?

In your link it talks of the rivets being made of best iron, which sounds good
until you know there is best best iron. I have copies of some of the
information disclosed to the Inquiry following the Tay Bridge disaster of 1879.
Some of the cast iron was made of best iron but there was not only best best
but also best best best iron and the best iron was essentially slag by the
sound of it.