[modeleng] cadmium bearing silver solder

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 22:51:57 +0100

There is a study being undertaken on behalf of the EU Directorate-General
Enterprise and Industry, to assess the use of such materials in the hobby
market.
Included in the terms of reference are the advantages / disadvantages of
alternatives, etc.

I have been asked to contribute to this study and also to suggest the names
of other users who might also be willing to contribute.
(It requires, would require, the completion of a questionaire, which takes
only a few minutes.)

At least we are being asked for our experiences so I believe we should give
them, rather than complain that we are never consulted.

From what I have gleaned so far, the suggestion is that ALL cadmium bearing
SS should be banned.

My personal view, which I shall be expressing most strongly, is that
provided we are aware of the potential risks,it should be up to the
individual to choose which type of SS he/she uses.
Hence I am opposed to any such ban.

Alan