[modeleng] Re: Why is it so quiet?

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:12:31 -0600

       There is always the "other" ME list where of late the conversations
have centered around such compelling subjects as manure, bovine and
chicken, among others.  Fascinating reading.  :-)  I've been quiet  because
I've been busy handling life, juggling the care of unwell and aging parents
with a full work schedule and deadlines.  It's just that time of life.
        Workshop-wise I've been getting a little done but what little I've
been able to do has been taking me closer toward the material wall - that
point at which I can no longer make substantial additional progress without
biting the bullet and buying some expensive materials.  At that point we
pause, . . take a couple of deep breaths, . . and pull out the checkbook.
It's a good time to pause though because there are some design and material
selection choices to be made, and best not made in haste.
        I have a couple of questions for the list though, now that we are
at it, about axle water pumps.
        #1 - I know that for some years Monel has been recommended or
specified as the ram material because it is less susceptible to galling
than stainless and I wondered if anyone is or has used it and what your
results were.  I can't seem to find it in a ground finish at any price (see
checkbook above) so would turn and grind my own from oversize stock.
        #2 - I have bored (not reamed) my pump body (.500" diam x 2.5") and
would like to put a lapped finish to it.  I have a 1/2" split brass lap but
I can't afford to buy a series of lapping compunds at $$ per grit.  Any
suggestions as to how to proceed?  It may very well be that for a one-off I
would come off better sending this out to a commercial lapper.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee