[modeleng] Re: Track guage

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:11:44 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

John,
Not often, but every once in a while I'm presented with the opportunity to
identify unknown (to the finder) castings and usually I'm able to at least
point the owner in the right direction.  The last such opportunity was the
identification of an almost complete set of Clarksons Sanderson Beam engine
castings which had been languishing for years in a damp basement.  In this case
they were saved from the skip (I assume) but I always wonder how many others
aren't so lucky.

In this case I also made an offer for the castings, which I fancied having, but
after my identification and a potted history they suddenly became "valuable
antique British engineering museum piece collector's items" and worth nearly
their weight in gold!  That'll teach me to keep my mouth shut.
Harry