[modeleng] Re: Tornado

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:25:25 -0600

Over here in what used to be the free USA, our wood burning locomotives had
a numerosity of different style "Diamond Stacks" to slow or  stop burning
cinders
  Inside the stacks and near the top, there was a cast iron deflector that
directed the embers downward where they collected and also there was a heavy
screen at the top of the stack.   There was also the "Bear Trap" spark
arrestor as is used on certain Durango and Silverton locomotives.  The Bear
Trap is an ugly thing with a screen set at an angle and a long outside pipe
to hold the hopefully caught cinders. I don't know what is inside the thing,
but am sure there is some sort of deflector. Steamers also had an angled
screen in front of the flues and it deflected a lot of the stuff into the
smokebox.  These screens were still present in our coal burners.

Our club does not require any arrestors because here in the humid South
there is not much possibility of setting any of the greenery afire.  Farther
West, especially in  California and other desert states, arrestors are
required on all club steamers or so I have heard.  On the full size narrow
gauge D&S RR and I think Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR, trains are frequently
followed by some sort of fire suppression motor car in case a spark escapes
the deflectors lands in dry grass or brush.  The motor car carries water and
chemicals as well as the old faithful rubber flapper on a handle.  Here in
Troy, our fire department has several of the flappers in case some nicotine
fiend flips a cigarette into the highway median or shoulder which happens
pretty regularly during the winter or prolonged dry spell..

If anyone wants to see a photo I made of a D&S loco with a bear trap, just
ask me at fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx and I will send a photo of one of the monsters
as applied to inside frame Mikado # 473.

Jesse

I didnt know that.

 Regarding models, and on the subject of spark arresting, a few years ago
 this was a major topic, but.recently it has rarely been mentioned.
 I know that some clubs insist on spark arrestors, whilst others appear to
 have no such rule.

 What is the general view on this, and which are considered the best types
of
 spark arrestors?

 Alan