[modeleng] Re: Tall Tales? Jesse's superheat free run away

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:54:08 -0600

Rich,

I am sure you are correct as what was happening only occurred when I opened
the throttle too quickly or had too high water level in the boiler.  Also,
the problem was exacerbated by the fact that I had too much water treatment
compound in the tender water.   The result was I had way too high of a Ph
and anything over 11Ph will cause excessive foaming as we all know.  I use
the LSB 8000 compound in my boilers now instead of using "homebrew" as I did
in the past and everything seems to be running perfectly.  One nice thing
about the stuff I was using was that it was "free".  All I had to do to
obtain it was to make a stop in the boiler room at our sawmill and siphon a
gallon out of one of the barrels sitting by the feed water pumps.

Unka Jesse.