[modeleng] Re: Tall Tales? Jesse's superheat free run away

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 00:34:00 +0000 (GMT)

Possibly as the water from the boiler, which is at around 150degC, passes
through the constricted path after the regulator, the resulting drop in
pressure enables the water to turn to steam - this rapid expansion being
what caused your loco to race (I may of course be wrong).

The prescence of a superheater would cause further steam expansion -
although quite which 'mechanism' would dominate I don't know.

Yours,

Rich.