[modeleng] Re: Spinning

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:57:11 -0500

I should have mentioned that the guy wiped some sort of lubricant onto the
alumimium disc before starting the spinning operation.  Also, he had
sectional moulds that could be removed from inside spun objects so a vase
shape could be formed.

I made a slight slip back in my first answer.  Alumimium will work harden,
but not as badly as brass or copper.  Though the shape the guy was spinning
was not too large, he did not have to anneal the workpiece.  I worked in an
aluminium rolling mill for 11 years and saw coils of metal being annealed
after the metal had been rolled from 12" thick down to a few thousandths.
From there it was rolled as thin as 1.5 ten thousandths sometimes.

Jesse in hot W. Tennessee