[modeleng] Re: Soft Packing

  • From: John Pagett <john.pagett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:17:31 +0000

Gents,
My problem is the soft packing of the pistons on gunmetal cylinders, not
the glands for the piston rods.

I can get the square packing in, it just doesn't seem to stop the steam
from flowing past! One of our club members suggests packing it in really
tight - i.e. an overlength piece of packing compressed lengthwise as it
is pushed in to "fatten it up". I think this is better but how much over
length should it be? pistons are  1" diameter with 1/8" x 1/8" groove.

Should I be aiming for a completely steam tight seal?

Thanks,

John