[modeleng] Re: Slightly O/T (drawing)

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:11:40 -0600

> Harry,
> Like you I am an old fashioned (old school) graduated mechanical engineer.
> IMHO the advent of CAD (I am an AUTO-CAD user )has brought changes to the
> job of draftman. Nowdays the young draftmen are more "fluent" with
> computers than with design/engineering. This leads to strange drawings and
> a poor level of quality. This represents only my opinion and experience as
> a project manager.
> Truly yours
> Pierre

I remember a sort of poem from way back in my early days as a machinist
apprentice.  It was describing the design of something with lots of
impossible machine work needed on it and concluded with the statement that
the thing couldn't even be cast!!  Anyone remember that one or the drawing
someone made that specified a certain machining operation that should be
done with a "slit-slanted slot cutter".  I bet some of the older MEs on the
list remember both of them.  How 'bout it Bill?

Jesse the rednecked Tennesseean