[modeleng] Re: Slightly O/T, (drawing)

  • From: Garry60030@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:42:10 EST

Hi, can anyone tell me what new British Standards BS8888 are regarding
dimensioning an engineering drawing.  The old BS 308 said dimensions  are
USUALLY
placed above the line but can be placed in a gap in the  dimension line.  Since
school in the 60's I have always been told  either are acceptable, as long as
one method is continued throught the  drawing, and model engineering
drawings, M. Evans etc have shown both  methods.  I would like to know if both
methods
are still applicable.   A friend of mine says the only true method is in the
gap as above the line can  result in confusion with people who cannot read a
drawing correctly and they  might assume it is the line above.  Research on the
internet does show both  methods but not specifically to BS8888.

Thanks in anticipation
Garry