[modeleng] Slightly O/T (drawing)

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:24:54 -0600

At 06:42 PM 11/27/05 EST, you wrote:
>Hi, can anyone tell me what new British Standards BS8888 are regarding
>dimensioning an engineering drawing.

Gary,
     I can't shed any light on British standards but as you say, and
historically,  either is acceptable as long as the same convention is
carried consistently throughout the drawings.
     Drawring-wise I'm an old-school architect who prefers "above the
line", but that's almost universal architectural usage and
technical/mechanical drawing varies in a number of ways.  It can (and is)
argued that broken dimension lines can lead to as much confusion as a
misplaced over-line dimension.  Clarity and consistency usually eliminate
any possible confusuion.
    The advent of computer aided drafting has brought changes to the
"official" conventions of drafting, many of which came about because that
was "what the computer wanted", which IMHO is not a valid reason, and in
that time, rather than improve life, contractor friends tell me the level
of quality, thoroughness, and completeness of working drawings they receive
has declined to all-time lows.
     Now having said that, I am a 100% Cad user, BUT I make the computer do
what I want it to do, not the other way round.  To me it's nothing more
than an electronic pencil.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee