[modeleng] Running models

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:40:01 -0600

At 08:41 AM 12/29/04 -0000, you wrote:
> . . .  I don't wish to sound of sour grapes or bad cheese but do any of
her models work, [snip] . . . I point out the work of Barrington Hares
who's pieces actually run and run very well. - IP

      But that wasn't always the case, I recall hearing that dispite all
the coverage it got in ME, he had a great deal of difficulty coaxing the
Merlin** to run and mum was the word on it for a long while.  But it did
eventually run and was then retired to glass case duty.  The same is the
case with COMO**, which was run on air but IIRC was never run on steam and
likewise was retired immediately to glass case duty, but this doesn't keep
it from being revered as one of the finest loco models ever built.
     What sets it apart in my mind is the it was built with hand tools,
breast drill, and treadle lathe.  Of course anything built in 1885-1895
would have been built the same way.  It is astounding to me that such a
project could have ever been done, what with having no quick change carbide
insert tooling, no 14x40 lathe, no Bridgeport, no CNC, no DRO, no EDM, etc.
. . . all the things many of our so-called live steam gurus would have us
believe we MUST have in order to make so much as a chip these days.

Merlin = model of Rolls-Royce Merlin V16 aircraft engine (1/10th scale?)
COMO = model of LBSCR 0-6-0 loco, approx 1" scale, built 1885-1898.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee