[modeleng] Re: Running models

  • From: "Pendragon" <idpriest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:34:32 -0000

Harry,

I attended a lecture barrington hares gave at Birmingham [Eng]
University, it was some time ago but I recall him saying that he had
grief getting the Merlin to run initially.  I also recall him saying
that he had originally built the carb internal details to scale which
was the source of the problem.  When the Merlin did run it did so with a
carb that looked scale from the outside but with internals built to run.
The blower also works but is inefective.

I agree with what you say regarding the model engineer guru's of today
but I'm sure that Hares also built his milling machine on which he went
on to build the Merlin with.  I'm also led to believe that it is very
difficult to get Hares to attend any model engineering event to talk /
demonstrate his engines .... What a great pity...I've only met him once
and on that occasion he seemed an okay sort of bloke.

Regards,

IP

Priest & Sons Model Engineers
http://www.kinvermes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/p1.htm