[modeleng] Merlins and Running models

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:17:52 -0600

At 04:34 PM 12/29/04 -0000, you wrote:
>Harry, [snip] When the Merlin did run it did so with a
>carb that looked scale from the outside but with internals built to run.
>The blower also works but is inefective. - IP

ID,
          I saw it in person for the first time at Donnington in 1998.  I
had a particular interest in it because I have a friend and mentor who was
building a 1918 Merecedes aircraft engine to what IMHO was of an equal
level of workmanship although not quite of the same complexity of design.
I wanted to make a comparison.  Take me round back and rough me up if you
must but what most impressed me was the job on the propeller!

Regards,
Harry