[modeleng] Rob Roy boiler height issues

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:18:01 +0100 (BST)

Hi there All,

Right: bank holiday weekend coming up, so I'm in the middle of trying to
set myself up with three days of loco work in the hope of getting the Rob
Roy I'm rebuilding, a step closer to the track.

Only snag is, as usual, the minute I get anywhere near a set of drawings,
I start spotting the errors in them, and I start getting hung up on them.

This time my issue is this:-

I've photocopied the original ME articles on how to build Rob Roy, I don't
have the book or the large sheets of plans.

The articles state the boiler centre-line is 1 15/16 inches above the
frames (I assume above the highest point, as they are lower around the
firebox area).

The problem is that if you build the frames, boiler and grate as per the
plans then the boiler needs to sit about 1/4" higher than that I reckon.

The one I have here (in bits) has the grate reduced in height, so the
boiler only sits 1/8 " lower than in the articles, but then the builder
may have done this to compensate for using an overly large smokebox tube.

Given that I need to build new sidetanks, cab and smokebox for the loco, I
have the opportunity to sit the boiler lower down if this is the correct
thing to do, but I can't help but think there is a mistake in the
articles or in my interpretation/understanding, and I don't know if a
correction was subsequently issued.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I can e-mail a sketch/pictures of the situation off list if anyone is up
for helping me figure this one out.

Yours (grateful for any help),

Rich.