[modeleng] Re: RE Magnetic Chucks going OT - sorry guys!

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:34:27 -0800

John Paget said:
>When you remove the keeper the effect is to push you down the B-H curve.<

First question is why? I suppose if you think of it in electrical analogy
terms (which is how I managed to understand magnetics enough to pass ONC -
dear me, that WAS a long time ago!) you can imagine the keeper as a low
reluctance (low resistance) which maintains the flux density
(webers/sq.metre in MKS) for a given AT/m (voltage in electrical terms).
What I don't see is what causes the loss in AT/m when you remove the
keeper, since I imagine the magnet itself consisting of the aligned
magnetic domains, which I thought required some energy to disturb them -
such as hammering, heating etc.

I presume that a material with a very square B-H curve could show very
little effect, but I'm still puzzled as to why the domains 'disalign'
themselves. I can see why the hysterisis is a problem - incidentally, I
was taught that the hysterisis occurs because of the reluctance of the
domains to move readily.

Peter Chadwick (still puzzled in San Diego!)