[modeleng] Re: Press Fits

  • From: Donkitson1@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:22:21 EST

In a message dated 12/11/2005 20:20:09 , tel@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Now  'ere's a little hint - cut your seat on the pin a little longer than  you
need, turn it down pretty close, now carefully turn the excess length  on the
end till it just 'goes', now back the tool off 'arf a thou &  turn with
confidence. Finally turn away the excess & chamfer the  end.

> In a message dated 12/11/2005 20:04:51 ,  fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> >
> > I prefer shrink or  press fits to glue, although some of  the modern
> >  adhesives
> > are excellent.
> > Alan
>
>  I  used Locktite® on my Falk #1 drive axles because of having to put  them
in
> a quartering jig and rotate them quickly for proper  quartering.  Falk  has
> seen a fair amount of running, and so  far no problem.  I really  ought to
> drill into the interface  of the wheels and axles and glue in  something
like
> a 1/8"  diameter pin as a key.  This way if one of the  wheels ever  does
want
> to slip, it can't.  I fixed Charles' Gool Bug   that way when I quartered
it.
> Jerry Deaton had originally relied  on  Locktite, but the engine jammed
> against a loose packing gland  and one  crank rotated about 90° out of
> position.
>
>  Jesse the redneck in  Tennessee
>
> MODEL ENGINEERING  DISCUSSION LIST.
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE  from this list, send a  blank email to,
> modeleng-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with  the word  "unsubscribe" in the subject
> line.
>

>  Thanks for the info gentlemen, I will try for a press fit and if I  run
into
> problems I will the Locktite System with a locking  pin.
> Many thanks to you all.
> Don.
>
> MODEL  ENGINEERING DISCUSSION LIST.
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list,  send a blank email to,
> modeleng-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word  "unsubscribe" in the subject
line.

MODEL ENGINEERING  DISCUSSION LIST.

Thanks Tel that sound very sensible, will give it a try in the  morning
Don