[modeleng] Re: Press Fits

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:04:26 -0600

> I prefer shrink or press fits to glue, although some of the modern
> adhesives
> are excellent.
> Alan

I used Locktite® on my Falk #1 drive axles because of having to put them in
a quartering jig and rotate them quickly for proper quartering.  Falk has
seen a fair amount of running, and so far no problem.  I really ought to
drill into the interface of the wheels and axles and glue in something like
a 1/8" diameter pin as a key.  This way if one of the wheels ever does want
to slip, it can't.  I fixed Charles' Gool Bug that way when I quartered it.
Jerry Deaton had originally relied on Locktite, but the engine jammed
against a loose packing gland and one crank rotated about 90° out of
position.

Jesse the redneck in Tennessee