[modeleng] Re: Piston Glands

  • From: fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:01:55 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Barrie,

I used "O" rings as the piston rod seal in my Filer and Stowell and they ha=
ve lasted very well.  One needs to polish the rod with a cloth wheel and Je=
welers rouge or something similar to make sure it is slick as possible.  Yo=
u will need to make a wee boring tool to cut the internal grooves in the cy=
linder heads.  I made mine from a 3/32" Allen=AE wrench with a piece of tun=
gsten carbide silver soldered crossways on the tip.  Works perfectly it doe=
s so I say GO FOR IT Mate!

Jesse the Tennessee redneck and proud of it.

I am currently refurbishing a 5" Duchess. The engine has seen quite a bit o=
f use, having had several owners the last of whom dumped it in a barn! I am=
 currently working on the cylinders which have rusted quite badly.
The piston rod glands are fairly conventional stuffing boxes but each gland=
 has four 10ba studs with a pair of locking nuts on each stud. This arrange=
ment is very difficult to adjust on the outside cylinders and virtually imp=
ossible on the inside cylinders (It is a four cylinder engine). I am contem=
plating modifying the arrangement and replacing the stuffing boxes with O  =
rings. Similarly with the piston valve rods. Whilst I have used O rings wit=
h considerable success on piston valve rods I have never tried them as a pi=
ston rod seal.=20
Any thoughts gents?
Barrie=20