[modeleng] Re: My latest model .... and the Triple

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:06:05 -0600

At 09:02 AM 12/15/04 -0600, you wrote:
>>A scale model of it would be fascinating.

      The thing that strikes me immediately about that engine is the
machining diffculties, not in modeling it but in full size, and the
crankshaft in particular.  How was the crank made?  Forged?  Cast?  Is it
made in one piece or in interlocking sections?  How was it turned?  Or was
it turned?  If it was turned, at what rpm would a 300ton multiple-centered
crankshaft be turned and who would be bold enough to stand nearby with that
much weight rotating eccentrically.  Inquiring minds, etc, etc.
      With respect to Stuarts, I was a Stuart dealer for a few years, which
I discontinued because the prices slowed sales to a crawl not detectable to
the human eye, but IHMO they don't have a calculated "all the traffic will
bear and then some" attitude.  As most of you know for some years Stuarts
has been owned by an industrial corporation and it's my guess that a
certain level of profitable performance is expected from the Stuart
"division" and that performance will be met, regardless of what it does to
the consumer price.  I'm sure they do what they can to contain costs, but
profitability must be maintained so as the costs for kitting the engines
rise the increase is passed along to the consumer.

Regards,
Harry