[modeleng] Mainline steam services ???

  • From: "Tony Wells" <oaksfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:49:06 -0000

Having just seen an item about the Tornado's ongoing steam trials, I thought
that I would ask the experts on such things here in the group about some steam
trains that we have been hearing regularly for some time now. I live south east
of Leeds, near Methley Junction, part of which is used by the Leeds to Goole
train service. The third leg goes off towards Wakefield to pick up the main
Leeds-Wakefield-London service, so we are not on that route, by the way.
At first we thought that as it was so late at night, and usually over the
weekend, when we used to have Railway Possessions when I worked on the
motorways (for trackside road construction such as bridgeworks), it could be
when steamers were going up to the National Railway Museum at York or up to the
North York Moors Railway at Pickering by such as the A4's for the recent
celebrations there, but it is is much too regular for this. Having seen a
number of video clips where locos are hauled by road, rather than steamed to
their final destinations, is there therefore still much private steam traffic
on the rail network, bearing in mind that the leg to Leeds also has a link off
to the Middleton Railway via the yards at Stourton where they also run steam
services, or have we just heard locos being moved around the country by the
Museum and the Preservation Societies?

TonyW.