[modeleng] Re: Machinery order

  • From: "Dennis Rayner" <dennis.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:17:52 +0100

I think you have to start with a lathe but if, like me, you are in the
business of making a working model rather than an exhibition model, then I
would plug the early acquisition of a linisher. I converted one end of my
grinder into one many years ago and wished I had done it many years earlier.
What  a timesaver it has turned out to be. I use good quality belts and the
speed with which I can round the end of rods or fettle castings is amazing -
mind you, you do need good gauntlets to hand the work - it gets very hot!

It's just essential to emphasise the need to clean the dust away after any
operation involving aluminium.

Dennis Rayner