[modeleng] Re: Machinery order

  • From: "Eric Walker" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:27:18 +0100

If you were going to build a railway engine & have got your plans it would
pay you to order your castings. It can be very frustrating looking at your
newly acquired lathe, keen to have a go but having nothing to turn. While
waiting for the castings you can cut the frames out with a hacksaw & a cold
chisel, I would buy a pillar drill, you could manage with a hand drill but
there are some bargains about.Then your old lathe big enough to turn 18in in
the gap & at least 2ft long, I presume the tools & 3 & 4 jaw chucks would
come with the machine but the vertical slide would be extra. A stick welder
would be useful & they are cheap as most people want mig now, gas welding
tackle is handy for building water tanks & tenders. I think you could build
a loco with this, then later you must have a bandsaw, a milling machine & a
myford for the small jobs. I have stopped going to sales as there are to
many bargains, I have enough lathe tools & milling cutters to last me
100years.
At Harrogate Show I met a bloke who was 83 & he had just bought a new lathe.

E.W.