[modeleng] Guage glass protectors

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:56:52 -0600

At 12:20 PM 11/30/05 -0000, you wrote:
>If you were making a gauge glass protector, what material would you use?

Alan,
     My first thought, since it's typical over here, would be along the
lines Jesse suggested, a metal sleeve of some kind with  'port' cut out of
it.  The most common ones are brass tubing slipped over the glass.
     My next thought would be to use a piece of glass tube larger in OD
than the gauge glass, creating a tube-within-a-tube arrangement (with the
outer chamber vented to atmosphere), although I've never seen that done in
full size.
     Then there is the "sandwich" (for lack of a better term) gauge which
have an all-metal body with a metal-framed front plate which retains a
glass window.
     As for mica, because so many old stoves and new reproductions are
around these days I'll bet mica is still available.

Regards,
Harry