[modeleng] Re: Guage glass protectors

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:57:44 -0600

Jeff, Do you mean "Reflex" instead of Duplex?  Indeed those are very easy to
read and well protected also.  BUT EXPENSIVE!

Alan, As for myself, I have not much actual protection for any of my gauge
glasses, but the one on my Filer and Stowell is partly inset into a piece of
1/2" square brass stock and that sort of gives it protection from three
sides.  One glass has the four steel rods mentioned by Jeff, but the other
three are "naked".  So far I haven't had any problems with breakage, but I
do carry spare glasses for two of my locomotives.  I think a glass should
last for many years if one is careful while stoking the firebox.  BTW: all
of my gauge glasses use "O" rings as seals.  The top of the housings screw
off and the glass can be removed by pushing up on it so it slides out
through the top.  No problems with leaking and there is no packing nut to be
overtightened to shatter the glass.  Also, since the glass is free to move
within the housings, there are no stresses to cause breakage.  I do
"fireform" the cut ends of the glasses so they do not have sharp edges to
cut the "O" rings.  Most of my glasses came from nominal 1/4" glass tubing
as is used in highschool chemistry labs.  I did some work on a pair of
stadia rods for the Ag teacher and he "requisitioned" me a couple of 2' long
pieces of the tubing.

I don't think there is any need to protect the glasses with a mica cover.  I
have had flames (propane) billow out the fire doors on occasion and never
had a glass broken (even the unprotected ones) by the flames.  The "Gold
Bug" that Charles Brumbelow purchased used (PC: Previously owned) had a log
book with it that seemed to indicate the need to carry spare gauge glasses,
but I think this was due to carelessness with the coal scoop by the original
owner.  Charles ran the loco at the MSLS fall meet and had no problem with
broken glass.

Jesse in chilly West Tennessee, USA

 Hi Alan,>