[modeleng] Re: Gossip

  • From: "Andrew Houston" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:25:26 -0000

Hi all

I notice, however, that David blamed her for the repeating of an article in
two recent issues of ME with words like, "I was on holiday - - - - - left
her in charge - - - - -  thought she could cope".  Bearing in mind he is the
Editor and, "The buck stops here" applies.

It's not the first time she's made mistakes in her copy for the mag - but
no-one's perfect !  Let's see if, without David, she can make it and,
perhaps, improve the Mag..

As far as LBSC articles are concerned, for me they're a total waste of
space.  With serious hauling in mind, 3.5" are NBG and things have moved on
a bit from LBSC type "words and music".  Someone on another forum was asking
where LBSC had previously explained "how to" since the words in the "Speedy"
book were often of the "I won't explain it here.  See my earlier
explanation" sort.  To an extent, the two currently running in ME are
similar.

ME has turned into a "visit report" mag rather than its old style of
"construction series", "for schools", "how to make/use/repair/sharpen
tools", etc, etc, etc.

The key problem is that nearly all the previous "Loco Designers" (inc LBSC)
- eg the Evanses, Young, etc - are either in the Workshop Above or too old
to contemplate another new design.  Is  there no-one out there, preferably
below 60 years old, capable of emulating Martin Evans', Don Young's, etc,
loco design, drawing and writing skills ?  Is there no-one like George
Thomas, "Tubal Cain", "Duplex" still alive ?

Nuff sed (sorry)
Andy