[modeleng] Ceramic Valves

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:06:56 +0100

Hi All,
As it is a bit quite at the moment here is an idea that I have been toying with.
The other day I dismantled an old Kitchen Ceramic Disc Mixer tap. The ceramic
discs units are a very nice sealed unit made from brass but having a couple of
plastic components inside as well as the ceramic bits.
Having got the thing to bits and removed the plastic bits I was left with
basically a brass cartridge about 20mm diameter, with the moving ceramic discs
inside but it would now need some spring loading arrangement to keep the discs
together. The actual drive to the moving disc was brass with a splined shaft.
The thought now is, with the right sort of adaptor could it be used as a
Regulator in a Boiler. The Ceramics are heat proof, it has opening ports just
like a regulator, and the surfaces should pretty well never leak. The only snag
that I can see ,is possible wire drawing effect on the edges of the openings
but  even that should not mattter as the discs slide over each other can it
cannot be worse than Brass.

Any thoughts out there?

Regards

Clif