[modeleng] A leaking ring!

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <psbr20252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:17:49 +0100

All,

My 7.25" 1/4 scale Hunslet ("Elidir") recently showed signs of a leak in
the firehole ring (the loco is 18 months old).  First indications were
that it was coming through the ring (I wondered if it was a porous piece
  of copper) however performing a hydraulic test with the loco on her
side showed that it was a weep between the firehole ring and inner
backhead.

This afternoon I was at Lackham and was trying to caulk the joint using
  Comsol.  All I seem to be doing is moving the weep around the ring!
As I seal one, another one appears!

It has now moved to the very top of the firehole ring (a very awkward
place to get at) and no longer can I do it with it on its side (as the
solder will just run off!)

I plan to bring the engine home as I will have more tools at my
disposal, however, my first thoughts of how to tackle this is as follows:

Clean the area as well as possible.  I have wondered about the
feasibility of using one of these "abra"? files and bend it around the
ring to get a clean area.

I have Comsol flux, so that should clean most of the rest.

With the engine upright, place a piece of Comsol on top of the ring
where I believe the weep to be.

Then using a propane torch from underneath and an oxy-propane from the
front and heating the "inside" edge of the firehole ring, try and
persuade the Comsol to caulk.

So, will that work or can more experienced members suggest a better way.

Cheers

Peter
(off to Japan/Taiwan for three weeks a week today!)