[modeleng] Re: Battery problems

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:39:06 -0600

Peter,

I think Tel is correct in a way, but I spect that a spark ignited the
hydrogen someway. After all, they are usually charged at an even higher rate
when used as starter batteries especially where there is an intake air
heater like on Cummins diesels.  I like the ones where you can remove the
cell covers and check the water level as opposed to the "sealed for life"
type.

Just buy yourself a Dodge-Cummins diesel and you will have only the one
heavy duty 12v battery to worry with.

Jesse the crazed redneck machinist in Tennessee

Not unusual Pete - unvented batteries and chargers don't mix - the generated
hydrogen has nowhere to go but  .....

It was marked, sealed for life, I guess than when it "unsealed" itself, that
was the end of its life!

http://www.lmandwr.co.uk/battery/battery_1.jpg
http://www.lmandwr.co.uk/battery/battery_2.jpg

More seriously, any ideas what could have happened?  This is a battery that
is used in my Landrover (in series with the "normal" battery) to give me 24v
for the diesel heater.  It comes out about once a month for charging.

It was put on charge a couple of days earlier on a 12v, 5A (trickle) charge,
I came into the workshop yesterday to find this!

I have since charged a similar battery (same type) without any problems.

Cheers

Peter