[modeleng] Re: Battery problems

  • From: "Jeff D" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:32:44 +0000

Hi Peter,

I've had similar problems with car batteries over the years. Sometimes the
batteries develop an internal short from deposits falling from the plates
and shorting between them will cause trouble. Most batteries last between
5-8 years, but some as few as 2 and some as long as 12 years. If you have a
major failure it is worth taking the battery back to the supplier. I have,
and twice they replaced them no questions asked.

Chargers- I suspect these have caused many of my battery problems over the
years, especially the cheaper DIY ones. Some have relays that can spark,
others have thermal switches protecting the transformer coils or regulator
that can spark, and I have seen a bad capacitor in one and a dial lamp
socket/loose bulb in another cause a spark. My advice is to get a
profesional grade high quality charger, and use it in a well vented space,
preferably with an induction motor fan running to disperse the gases. The
batt must also be properly filled with tested good electrolyte in all cells
before charging.

When my Dad had his service station we worked on twenty or more battery or
battery related car problems every week, particularly in spring or autumn
when wide temp changes happen daily. He taught me the basic rules above, and
he had a good charger with a built in fan, and we only had a couple of
batteries explode during charge over 30 years or so that I was around the
shop. At home, using several poor DIY chargers I exploded a couple more, but
after I found a good charger no further issues.

Good luck, Jeff Dayman