[modeleng] Ally Pally

  • From: "Peter J. Cathcart" <peter.cathcart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:11:55 -0000

I've just returned from Ally Pally having helped take down our club stand
and pack it away.

For those of you who attended, as you entered on the left was a stand with a
lathe and workshop practice going on.  We (local Model Engineering Clubs)
were lucky enough to be able to borrow a Warco 918 Lathe.  I monopolised it
today making a spindle turning handle for my Myford.  It was good to see so
many visitors stopping and asking questions, watching etc.  Some of the
youngest were the most fascinated.

I've never used a Warco before.  I have a Myford Super 7.  I have to say it
was a good machine to use and I found it perfectly adequate for boring,
turning, knurling etc. Warco sold it cheap on the basis that it had been
used.  The buyer "dropped by" a few times this morning but I think was happy
to see it was performing well.  Warco deserve a pat on the back for lending
the machine.

Incidentally a visitor who has spent his life as an engineer on lathes gave
me some useful tips when I was knurling - so we all continue to learn.

Ally Pally was a better Exhibition than Sandown Park.  It was much busier
and much better served by suppliers, clubs etc.

Peter Cathcart