[modeleng] Re: Ally Pally

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:45:26 -0000

Hi all

Take a close look at photo no. 13 - it's of a loco that had 8 wheels, and 9
axleboxes!

It's a pity this is the only picture of this model, because it's of an
unusual prototype, an L.N.W.R. Bowen-Cooke 0-8-0. The ninth axlebox is in
the middle of the crank axle, and is there to take the end thrust of the
pistons.  This box is unsprung, so it doesn't take the weight of the
loco -if it did, it would bend the axle of course.  I had a long chat with
the builder who told me this is his sixth L.N.W.R. loco model, and is based
on works drawings, not the Martin Evans design, about which he was somewhat
uncomplimentary!

The builder also told me that the L.M.S. later removed the centre box as
being unnecessary.

Regards
Ron