[modeleng] Re: Ally Pally

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:48:13 -0600

Al,

The locomotive resembles that piece of 1868 scrap metal that is at a museum
up in Michigan.  It too had side rods and a gear drive from a vertical
marine type engine.  I used the photo in my Newbie Project construction
article to show that there were actually similar engines built.
Unfortunately the Michigan engine now in addition to having had some of its
parts scavanged for scrap metal, has had the nice wooden lagging removed
from the boiler.  A pitiful example to put in any museum anywhere,
considering its present condition,  but they are proud enough of it to have
at least put a pavilion roof over it to protect the sad remains.

As to the very nice Ally Pally "Newbie" model, it would appear at first
glance that the engine is a bit large for the boiler.  Possibly the boiler
is very efficient?  Any'ow the photos are very nice with a lot of beautiful
workmanship exhibited.  Too bad we couldn't make it over there to see it all
in person, but as someone else has already mentioned, the photos ease the
pain somewhat.  Just wish there were some more of them.

Jesse in chilly windy west Tennessee