[missbirdphotos] Re: Critique

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mississippi Bird Photos Freelists <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:23:08 -0400

Oooh - looks really nice to me, Larry, and I wish it were mine.  I've waited to
comment until I got back onto my computer so that I could see the image at
better size/resolution.

I agree with Judy on her comments & edits (and really like the hint about
negative sharpening!).

To me, I might have taken a slightly different tack (not knowing exactly what
was around the image area that we CAN'T see), but I might have gone horizontal
with the empty room on the image left (in front of the bird), with the bird and
reflection on the right-hand thirds line.  That would have avoided the
out-of-focus bird & blue blob at the top & given the bird some more room to
seem to be moving into...  (Shooting active birds, you don't always have time
to switch orientation or that might have been something worse than those blobs
to that side, so that might not have worked).

I really like the exposure overall with good detail in the bird and reflection.
 The bright spots on the water are a distraction, but without a polarizer,
those could have been tough to avoid (though getting lower might have reduced
them to some degree?).

I really like the action & pose as well.

Thanks for helping keep this group active!

Robert

Robert Smith
rsmithent@xxxxxxx
www.photobiologist.com

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:33:46 -0700
From: larrypace64@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [missbirdphotos] Critique
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi guys
Haven't heard much from our photographers lately.  Everyone must be very busy!
With the recent rains and the Government shutdown, my usual, reliably
productive spots are either unaccessible or flooded. I have been going over
some of the photos I shot in September and trying out new PP techniques
(primarily retouching tools). Of course. as usual, I am never completely
satisfied with the results.  I am attaching a photograph of a Least Sandpiper
that was very active in "chasing" its neighbors as they were feeding. If I
could get you guys to look very closely at
 the photo and give me some feedback, based on what you prefer in a photo, that
would be very instructive for me.  Give some attention to all of the qualities
you like in a bird photo.  I have a really thick skin so be straight forward
with your opinions--comments.  Consider both technical and esthetic aspects of
photo.