[missbirdphotos] Hummingbird Shots

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mississippi Bird Photos Freelists <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:34:09 -0400

I thought I'd share some hummingbird shots from the last couple of weeks.  Our
hummingbird numbers have taken a big drop in the last week, but I did have a
chance to get out and shoot them a couple of times while we still had
comparatively high numbers.

All were shot with a Nikon D300s, Nikkor 400 mm f/2.8 lens (old version),
tripod with Wimberley gimbal head, Wimberley flash bracket, SB-800 flash dialed
down to - 2 1/3 or so, a Visual Echoes Better Beamer Fresnel flash extender in
place in aperture priority mode.  Some were shot with a 2x teleconverter and
some without.

2 were "framed" with a simple black frame.  The other 3 were "framed" with a
digital "gallery wrap" in Photoshop.  This was done by preparing the final
image for sharing in a single layer.  Then I duplicated the layer.  I then
extended the canvas 0.8 inches in every direction & used the color selector
tool set to a 5 pixel radius to select a color for the extended area.  Then I
used an fx layer style to add a drop shadow for that whole layer (adjusting to
make it appealing to me).  Then I used an fx layer style to bevel & emboss
making it appear raised with rounded edges (again adjusting the sliders &
numbers to make it appealing to me).

If anybody wants more details, I'll be glad to try to provide them.

I really like the light purple pollen on the head of the immature male feeding
on the Turk's cap.

Robert

Robert Smith
rsmithent@xxxxxxx