[minima] Re: 32Mhz IF frequency?

  • From: allison <ajp166@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 15:45:32 -0500

Hi,

Will not work.  Simple test is to substitute a switch that is on for the
current LO phase.
You end up with both sides of the transformer with a close switch to
ground for both
phases.

The best mixer other than DBM is a quadruple switch (doubly balanced) as
all ports are isolated.
The design that  Sergio Cartoceti, IK4AUY is one of the better known and
respected designs.

Having studied a long list of published works on mixers balance is the
most powerful tool we have.
A note on that is the Trask KISS with a FST switch is a good single
balanced mixer.  Doing it with
JFETs can work but there is a topology by Cambell that works better.
Both have origins back to
Rohde.

Allison/Kb1GMX