[macvoiceover] question for you about braille: was: Re: cereproc voices

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 04:57:40 -0500

Hi anouk;

what info do you get with speech that you do not get with braille?

On Nov 13, 2009, at 4:20 AM, anouk radix wrote:

Hello everyone, I have been working on the mac for a few months now and while I
do not use speech all that much (i was a die hard no speech ever user under
windows) i do find htat speech works better then braille if I need to navigate
applications or websites for the first time simply because you get more
information. While I really do like alex especially since he is really fast AND
non-headache inducing (unlike orpheus which i had in windows) I do prefer
someoen with a British accent. So I found cerotec voices which are relatively
cheap. One big problem was htat there is no demo version available so I bought
two of their voices (Sarah and william) without macbook pro with snow leopard).
Thile I do really enjoy william if I need to read longer English text he is a
lot slower then Alex. Also it seems to be really buggy software, or at least it
does not work well with voicover at all. Voicover crashes an awful lot when
using william while it does not do this nearly at all when I use alex or just
braille. Also sometimes I hear weird noises when I use william and sometimes he
spwes out string of text and numbers which are just not on the screen.
All in all I am rather disappointed with my purchase and it does seem as if it
was not tested at all.
I do not mind that the voices are a bit lower quality then some other voices
available because I truely find them natural and interesting sounding but I do
mind the lack of quality control and the fact that you cant try before you buy.
So I just wanted to warn other blind mac users because while the ovices are not
insanely pricey if you pay for something then you expect it to be usable, as it
stands now I just cant use william on my system.
Greetings, Anouk>