[macvoiceover] Re: gb question

  • From: Cara Quinn <Cara-Quinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:53:57 -0700

Ginny, firstly, your internal memory and your hard drive are two different things. It sounds to me like you have 2 gb of internal memory, which is what your system uses to store data that is more dynamic and which it uses while the system is turned on. This memory gets erased when your computer is off.

Your hard drive is usually much larger than this on current systems, and keeps it's contents intact while your system is off, so that when you turn it on again, your computer can load the data it needs from it, and place it back in it's 2 gb of internal memory.

You should have much more space on your hard drive than 2 gb, and I'm betting you do. the 2 gb you're talking about actually sounds like your internal memory only.

So, you shouldn't need to worry about going ahead and installing the extra Garage Band loops.

Now, regarding your disc partitions, just because you have two partitions, doesn't mean that your internal memory splits itself between them. When your computer is on, and running its operating system, either Leopard or Windows, or whatever else you have on it, you'll be using your internal memory only for that particular OS. the only time you might be splitting that up, is if you're virtualizing one OS from another. I.E. if you're running windows with fusion or Parallels.

this is way over simplified, but I hope it makes sense.  <smile>

HOpe this helps and have a nice day!…

Smiles,

Cara  :)

On Mar 31, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Ginny wrote:

OK, this is admittedly a silly question that I should know the answer to, but I unfortunately do not. When I was attempting to muddle through the loops in gb last night, I selected one and received the message that I’d need to install this particular loop from the internet or my dvd. The message said that installing the set of loops—which I’m assuming is on the ILife DVD—would take up 1.2 gb of ram. Now that I have my Mac drive split between Windows and Leopard, I would assume that I’d really slow down my system by installing this package. Is it correct to assume that since my hard drive is split, my 2 gb of memory is also split between the two?
Thanks for your help.
Ginny

---
View my Online Portfolio at: