[macvoiceover] Mac Mini Questions

  • From: "Ron J." <Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:52:25 -0500

Hi fellow Listers,

Recently, I discovered I was entitled to some money, from a notice of unclaimed property I received from the State. I've since received the check, and am contemplating upgrading computer systems.

I'm looking into getting a Mac Mini, but before I make that leap, I wanted to ask some questions.

First, I know there are a few Mac Mini users on this list. I'm wondering, are you Windows PC switchers, long-time Mac users, or what? I'd always heard that Apple's intent, with the Mini, was an inexpensive Mac, specifically targeted towards people making the switch from Windows PCs, to the Mac, who didn't want to spend a lot of money, but wanted to try a Mac for the first time. Is this really the case, or would a long-time Mac user (I've been running Macs now, for just about 9 years - will be on April 25 of this year), such as myself, be happy with one? I have a friend, in Indy, whose a long- time Mac user, who got a Mini, about a year back, and, from what I can tell, is quite happy with it.

Second, which systems do you have? The lower-end Minis, or the higher-end Minis? I'm leaning toward the higher-end, as I've come to realize that, to a point, you get what you pay for.

Third, is the Mini a good platform for a VO user? If so, why? If not, why not? I'm currently running an iMac G5, 1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, and Mac OS X Leopard. If I'm not mistaken, the newer Minis are Intel-based, dual-core, and as fast, or faster, than my G5. Also, I know they can be gotten with Bluetooth and Airport Extreme. My only reservation about the Mini is that they come with 5400 RPM drives - a might-bit slow, I'd think?

Fourth, Are any of you running dual-boot systems, using Boot Camp, Parallels, or what? What flavor of Windows? How does Windows function on the Mini? Is it fairly fast, or do you take any performance hits? Also, I presume most of you Mini users are using either JFW, or Window-Eyes, as your screen access program under Windows?

Fifth, what would you recommend for memory, hard drive, etc, for the Mini? Also, is there anything I need to watch out for?

Finally, about how much am I looking to shell out for this upgrade? My sighted roommie is interested in my G5, and he'll probably give me his stimulus check, which should be in the $600 category, plus his old 1 GHz eMac, to trade in, plus, I'm looking at at least $300 in stimulus payment, so I'm looking at probably being able to scrape together close to $1500. This should be more than enough to get a fully decked-out Mini and flat-panel display. I'm looking at a hard drive, comparable to what i have now, a minimum of 1 GB RAM (I'll probably do at least 2), I'm sure I want the fastest Airport, and don't know if I want to do Bluetooth, or not? I like it, but hate having to constantly feed keyboards & mice! Would rather feed the mice to my cats! LOL

Well, I think that's all the questions I have, for the moment. If I think of any more, I'll be sure to post to the list. You can reply to me, on-list, or, if you'd rather reply off-list, you're more than welcome to do that.

Take care!

Ron

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".