[macvoiceover] Re: Voiceover scripting, was apple scripting

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:51:42 -0500

you need to look at the script that josh wrote to understand this. Often, what we currently do is pass stuff to the os either the tts or another part of the os to achieve what we desire.

On Feb 3, 2009, at 11:41 AM, E.J. Zufelt wrote:

David,

Can you explain how to get Apple script to interact with Voiceover to do even the simplest thing like say a string of text? I know that you can use Apple Script to interact with the tts engine, but I don't hink that it is possible with VO.

Everett
On 3-Feb-09, at 11:53 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

Hi E J, you were perfectly clear. the current solution that works well is to use apple script. <giggle>

On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:36 AM, E.J. Zufelt wrote:

Good morning David,

To clarify what I was saying, VO does not currently support scripting, but if it did applications could be made more accessible.

I suppose that this could likely best be done by using apple script and some version of a Voiceover API.

Thanks,
Everett

On 3-Feb-09, at 11:25 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

this seems circular. you say that voiceover cannot be scripted but apps could be improved with voice over scripting.

Were scripting to be implemented in vo, it would probably be through apple scripts and rather than change the apps, it would most likely label items and provide keystrokes.

On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:21 AM, E.J. Zufelt wrote:

Good morning,

Unfortunately Voiceover cannot be scripted. Although Voiceover does work well with most applications, there are certainly times were accessibility could be improved through scripting.

Everett

On 3-Feb-09, at 11:08 AM, Jim Gatteys wrote:

Hi Mike!

I just downloaded
AppleScript: the definite guide and
AppleScript in a nutshell,
both Oreilly books from Bookshare. They don't seem to be very new but
they seem to cover the basics of scripting and that's what I was
looking for.

And as for whether VoiceOver is scriptable, I understnad its not and
there doesn't seem to be a script dictionary or library for it.  I
don't really know though--all still new to me.
Jim

--
Skype:  JimInTexas