[macvoiceover] Re: VO and or jaws

  • From: Ignasi Cambra <ignasicambra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 07:54:11 -0400

I just think that sometimes answering these slightly off topic questions patiently can help, because as much as some of us use VO every day and that's all we use, some other people are considering buying a Mac and are, understandably, a little scared because they don't know what to expect. The question could have certainly been formulated differently, but if people in the VO list are not willing to help out those considering a Mac, then VO will never be as popular among blind folks as it deserves to be. And it's a shame, because as someone said earlier Apple is taking the right approach to accessibility, and many many people are still either not aware of it, or too afraid to try it. If this person had a question, it's normal that if she saw a macvoiceover list, she decided to ask it there. That's all I mean. I have been a Windows and Linux user/programmer for a long time, and I know it can be very annoying to see how there is so much documentation out there and people just refuse to look at it, because it's faster to just ask. But in this case, I think a nicer answer from all of us to this person would have helped her a lot, and generated some ten extra emails on the list, which is not that bad.

Ignasi
On May 28, 2009, at 7:15 AM, matt wrote:

Keith,
I realize you are the list owner, but this short sided view of Stacey's
question is extremely unfair.
I too obviously work in a windows environment every day, but have a mac and am trying extremely hard to learn how it operates in conjunction with voice
over for a potential job situation.

In doing so I often find myself thinking there has to be a way to do this or that, because I know how to make something function in windows with jaws. In fact, many times I'll approach my question from my current knowledge and pose it to my colleague who is a Mac user, and he understands what I am asking and assist me with finding solutions. I don't think any of us is looking for a bunch of palabra and opinions on which screen reader is better ETC, but more an explanation of what can I expect to do with VO that perhaps maybe similar to the JW approach to make my transition easier. Now, before I get all the emails about how fundamentally different Mac OS is from windows, believe me I'm super aware of that considering the struggles I've had trying to learn how to use VO over the past 5 weeks. So, while I think the question as posed may have been slightly off point, I think it certainly could have been redirected to be a great question that if answered intelligently could
have helped lots of people, who are in the same boat I'm in!
I wish everyone well, and I too will be leaving the list.