[macvoiceover] Re: Formatting documents?

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:15:01 -0500

On Apr 12, 2011, at 8:00 PM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

Why do all that, when Mail has a news reaqder built right in.

Mostly because what mail calls a news reader isn't what Jude was talking about. What apple calls a news reader is only an rss reader. What Jude was talking about when he said news reader is usenet news groups, something that's been around since the early 80s (or thereabouts) where thousands of messages a day are posted into topical areas spanning hundreds or thousands of points of interest.
News groups were the big thing before the web became popular.
In effect, usenet was the internet (when people referred to the internet then anyhow) much like now, web sites are what folks mean now when they refer generally to the internet today. There are no programs that come with osx that can access and read usenet groups (that I'm aware of) though there are certainly plenty for the downloading, and plenty more if you're advanced enough to compile your own. I really hate when folks refer to rss feeds as news feeds, because it just confuses the issue when someone tries to call news groups by their real name (news groups) They're not blogs, not web pages, and certainly not rss feeds, but few folks these days are aware of their existence, so it generally gets lost in the shuffle. Especially since there are some usenet to web gateways where usenet messages are viewable via the web, which muddies the waters even more.