[macvoiceover] Re: A discussion on navigation, content and web pages

  • From: "Rich Caloggero" <rjc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:10:47 -0500

the visual reader is still faced with sifting through navigation to get to content.

Interesting that you say that. I guess I have the mistaken idea that web pages generally work well for sighted people. I guess "working well" needs to be more precisely defined. I.E., working well for whom: the advertizers who want their ads noticed, or site owners who want their site (navigation) to be noticed more than the content within (especially if its produced elsewhere).

I think the most adaptive solution would be to have the ability to serve pages automatically tailored to your accessibility preferences on the fly. If your prefs indicate your a screen reader user, then give me straight xhtml, no ajax. If your a magnification user, provide large nav items, rsizable everything, and maybe single column text so no horizontal scrolling needed. If you suitably indicate via your prefs, or by the absence of said prefs, you'll get served the default (possibly glitsy flashy ajax-based) website.

If your original source files are xml, then suitable xslt can do this kind of transformation on the fly. The advantage is that you need only maintain one set of source files, and can serve multiple versions on demand. You could even build this all into a content management system, which could store all kinds of user preference info. When you log in, it could recall your preference info, and then serve content to you based on those prefs.

-- rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Kearney" <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>